Livestock and Forages
- UGA Beef Team
- Understanding Beef Carcass Reports (UGA)
- Beef Management Calendar (UGA)
- Profitable Cattle Marketing for the Cow-Calf Producer
- How To Direct Market Your Beef (SARE) Book on tips for successfully marketing beef.
- Housing and Confinement for the Backyard Flock (UGA)
- Nutrition Guide for the Backyard Flock (UGA)
- Management Guide for the Backyard Flock (UGA)
- Alternative Poultry Production and Outdoor Access (ATTRA)
- Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture (SARE)
- Broiler Chicken Industry Key Facts 2018 National Chicken Council information on broiler industry, economic impact, chicken breeding, vertical integration, etc.
- Small Poultry/Pasture Poultry Guidelines (GA Dep of Ag)
- FSIS Guideline for Determining Whether a Livestock Slaughter or Processing Firm is Exempt from the Inspection Requirements of the Federal Meat Inspection Act (USDA)
- Economic Importance of the Georgia Dairy Industry (UGA)
- Value Added Dairy Options (ATTRA) Information regarding direct marketing of dairy products and organic dairy production.
For information on production of goats and other small ruminants in Georgia, please contact our colleagues at Fort Valley State University and their Georgia Small Ruminant Research and Extension Center.
- Meat Goat Production (UGA and FVSU)
- Meat Goats: Sustainable Production Overview (ATTRA)
- Meat Goat Selection, Carcass Evaluation & Fabrication Guide (LSU) A manual for the meat goat industry for evaluating live meat goats and measuring important carcass traits.
- Agricultural Alternatives: Meat Goat Production (Penn State)
- Agricultural Alternatives: Dairy Goat Production (Penn State)
- American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control Education for stakeholders on novel methods for sustainable control of gastrointestinal nematodes in small ruminants.
- Sustainable Control of Internal Parasites in Small Ruminant Production(SARE) - A fact sheet on how to control internal parasites of sheep and goats in a sustainable manner.
- Llamas and Alpacas on the Farm (ATTRA)
- Southeastern Alpaca Association
- Starting a Rabbit Enterprise (Mississippi State)
- Sheep Production Resources Information on breed selection and industry associations.
- Swine Production on a small scale (University of Florida)
Forages & Grazing
- Georgia Forages (UGA) The Georgia Forages website is your window to information on a wide variety of forage management issues. This information is extended to you by scientists from the University of Georgia, who continue to research all aspects of forage and livestock management.
- Georgia Forages: Legume Species
- An Introduction to Management Intensive Grazing (UGA) General principles of management intensive grazing and how it can be incorporated into farming practices.
- Grazing Impacts on Pasture Composition (UGA)
- Pastures: Sustainable Management (ATTRA) Weed control, fertility, grazing rotation, and other strategies for pasture maintenance.
- Pasture, Rangeland, and Grazing Management (ATTRA) Information on pasture types, forage varieties, and implementation of sustainable pasture management.
- Southern Forages 5th ed. Great resource on grasses and legumes. Produced by International Plant Nutrition Institute.
- Watering Systems for Serious Grazers An NRCS publication on innovative watering systems for livestock
- Tire Tanks Tire tanks installation guidelines developed by Herschel George, Watershed Specialist from Kansas State University.
- Tools for Small and Midsized Livestock and Poultry This USDA resource is for producers and processors. A guide to help explore USDA programs that support opportunities in small and midsized livestock and poultry.
- A Directory of Livestock Harvesting and Processing Facilities (UGA) 2009 listing of contact information, hours, animals processed, fees, and packaging methods for Georgia meat processing facilities.
- Small Poultry/Pasture Poultry Guidelines A quick guide to the regulations for small poultry processing in Georgia.
- Economic Feasibility of Mobile Processing Units for Small-Scale Pasture Poultry Farmers (UGA) Provides useful information on regulations and site specific survey data regarding poultry processing.
- Feasibility Study for a Local Processing Facility (UGA) Study provided by Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development (CAED). Provides helpful information on requirements for starting a new livestock processing facility.
- Buying Beef in Large Quantities (Oklahoma) Learn what to expect when buying carcasses and how to estimate the amount and cost per pound of take home meat.
- Basics of Meat Identification Diagrams (University of Arkansas)